February 10-15, 2020
Come together with MHS students and staff to raise money for Minnetonka Family Friends, an organization that assists Minnetonka students and their families by paying for their heating bill, ACT application fee, graphing calculator, breakfasts, dental van, activity or athletic fees, or even coats.
Who We Are
Family Friends is a Minnesota nonprofit corporation which is recognized by the IRS as a 501(c)3 corporation and the State of Minnesota as a tax exempt organization. It is registered by the Minnesota Attorney General to solicit funds. It charges no fees for services but relies on contributions from individuals, foundations, corporations and community organizations.
- Family Friends’ largest source of funds is the Minnetonka High School student government which raises funds through “Heart Week” in February each year.
- More than 100 Mtka School District teachers and other staff designate funds for Family Friends through United Way donor-designated gifts.
- Ridgewood Church supports Family Friends through its missions budget and by providing office space and administrative support.
- Individual donors support Family Friends through direct contributions and United Way donations through employers.
- Several philanthropic foundations provide grants.
- More than 95% of Family Friends’ funds are used for outreach program and direct financial assistance.
Family Friends Program Activities
Food to Minnetonka High School
Family Friends partners with Caribou to provide food to Minnetonka High School students who do not have resources for breakfast at home.
Family Friends sponsors a dental van to at-risk MHS students who are identified, screened and treated including fillings.
Family Friends assists with obtaining appointments, transportation and arranges medical exams and referrals for at-risk students without access to medical care. Family Friends also partners with Lions Club to obtain eye exams and glasses for at-risk students.
Good Samaritan Awards
Family Friends partners with Minnetonka Police to provide rewards to students who go out of their way to help others.
Family Friends outreach workers are present daily on the high school and middle school campuses to listen to and share with students. The outreach workers connect with students who need encouragement and support to be successful at home, school and in the community.
Direct Financial Assistance
Family Friends assists at-risk students and families by paying for clothing, student lunches, class fees, athletic fees, and school activities fees in addition to transportation and housing expenses such as rent and utilities.
Family Friends is an integral part of Minnetonka High School’s crisis team dealing with student and staff crises
Ongoing support and encouragement
Family Friends provides intensive and long-term personal support and financial help when there are major family and economic issues. This often extends beyond the scope of immediate crisis in terms of time and location.
Minnetonka High School summer programs
Family Friends partners with Cub Foods and Caribou to provide snacks and beverages as well daily encouragement and support to the students (all of whom are behind in graduation requirements).
Community Summer Program
Family Friends collaborates with community programs in low-income housing projects by providing support and snacks for youth and their families.
Family Friends partners with Timber Bay, Tree House, and Bren Road Alternative School who have joint programs with us in the Ridgewood Church gym.
Informational Google Slides Presentation
Heart Week dress-up days
- Monday, Feb. 10: Pajama Day
- Tuesday, Feb. 11: Tropical/Tourist Day
- Wednesday, Feb. 12: Middle School Day
- Thursday, Feb. 13: Jersey Day
- Friday, Feb. 14: HeartWeek Spirit Day (wear HeartWeek gear or red/pink/purple)
On sale Feb. 10-14 in the commons during lunches
Matchmakers, musical telegrams, Crush cans, Friday Fun Fest tickets, benefit dinner tickets and Sweethearts Dance tickets.
- Thursday, Feb. 6, 6:30 pm
- Original Pancake House at 101 & 7
- $25/team of 5 or less
- Prizes for winning team in each preliminary round
- Grand prize $100 for top team
- Thursday 2/13 hours 1-6
- Musical telegrams perform short songs to a student or class. Students send other Students a “telegram”. These can be purchased throughout the week and are all sent on the 13th.
- Student groups will audition with the choir and band teachers January 29 & 30.
- Telegrams are a very fun tradition at MHS and raise a lot of money!
Family Friends Benefit Dinner & Silent Auction
- Thursday, Feb. 13, 5-7 p.m.
- MHS cafeteria
- $ 10 / qof ama $ 40 / qoys ka kooban afar ama ka badan
- Xaraashka aamusnaanta
- Dinner catered by Tino’s
- Muusiga tooska ah ee ardayda MHS
- Face painting and carnival games for the kids (bring your family!)
HeartWeek’s Friday Fun Fest: Donate to participate
- Friday, Feb. 14
- $5/person for all activities and $7/Tonka’s Got Talent (Assistance available from counselors for students needing a scholarship)
This day is an early release day, with freshmen and sophomore activities taking place hours 1, 2, 3 and junior and senior activities hours 4, 5, 6. The Senior Showdown will be held during the upperclassmen activity hours and will not be broadcast on the school TVs.
2-Hour Early Release Schedule
February 14, 2020
- Per 1 - 8:00-8:40
- Per 2 - 8:46-9:22
- Per 3 - 9:28-10:04
- Per 4 - 10:10-10:46
- Per 5 - 10:52-11:28
- Per 6 - 11:34 - 12:10
- Lunch - 12:10 - 12:40
Activities for freshmen and sophomores
- Broomball in Pagel (teams of 7 in the Pagel Center)
- Basketball in West Gym (teams of 4 in the West Gym)
- Dodgeball in Back Gym (teams of 8 in the Back Gym)
- Touch football in Dome (teams of 6 in the Dome)
- Ultimate Frisbee in Dome (teams of 6 in the Dome)
- Concert in Arts Center (MHS/coffee house bands)
- Movie in Forum
- Yoga in Black Box
Activities for juniors and seniors
- Tonka’s Got Talent in Arts Center
- Movie in Forum
- Dodgeball in Back Gym
- Basketball in West Gym
- Saturday, Feb. 15, 9:00-11:00 p.m.
- MHS Commons
- Assistance available from counselors for students needing a scholarship
- Download the Guest Dance form (if bringing a non-Minnetonka Student)